Sunday, March 27, 2005

The American President

Cast: Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J Fox
Director: Rob Reiner
Writer: Aaron Sorkin
Synopsis:
A widowed President of The United States fall in love during his election year. (written by yours truly)

Review:
I'll keep it short. I just watched it on TV when I have nothing to do. What a wonderful discovery! I haven't felt this good about romantic comedy since I last watched Notting Hill or My Sassy Girl. The fact that I wrote this soon after I finished watching it on TV says on how impressed I was. This movie is just one of those rare few that can make you feel good no matter how ridiculous the concept would be in reality, like a well told fairy tale fantasy. The idea of president falling in love is ripe for all sorts of political satire and backlash and that's why the approach used by Reiner to tell a straight romantic love story that works so well is wonderfully surprising. What makes the film works is also that we believe the president character played by Michael Douglas is a truly good and sympathetic man and that the romance between the President and the lobbyist (played by beautiful Annette Bening) feels really true as well; we really root for them to be together against all odds. Yes, in reality, we live in a cynical, unfair world where most US presidents are like GW Bush. However, if you could just accept the fact that this movie is not about real life, then you would probably be entertained and heartened by what this movie has to offer. This movie was made about 10 years ago and I feel that it has been kind of forgotten, which is too bad because I feel that this is the kind of movie that should not be forgotten easily. I hope that this review would encourage you to make a wonderful discovery out of this movie, if you haven't already.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home